Have grant, will travel. If you’ve conducted research and want to present it at a research conference, you can apply for a travel grant. The grant funds your transportation to and from the conference up to a certain amount. Both undergraduates and graduate students can apply.
Why attend a research conference?
- Network with other students and professionals in your field
- Gain experience communicating your science
- See how scientists and/or mathematicians convey their research at a professional meeting
- Learn about the current research in your field
- Receive feedback on your research
- And, it’s fun!
There are Two Travel Grant Awards
- CNSM Student Travel Grants (for undergraduates and graduate students) Note: Funds for AY15-16 have been spent out. Applications are temporarily suspended until fall 2016.
- Jack R. Luick Memorial Travel Fund (for graduate students)
CNSM Student Travel Grants
(Funds for AY15-16 have been spent out. Applications are temporarily suspended until fall 2016.)
Awards: up to $750 maximum.
- A student in a degree program housed in CNSM.
- Must be currently enrolled in at least 3 graduate credits, or be a full-time undergraduate student.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Never received a CNSM Travel Grant during the course of a degree program.
Preference will be given to presentations on research or work that applies to the student’s degree program.
How to Apply
- Abstract – An abstract of the paper being presented or other rationale for the travel (one-page limit.)
- One-page explanation – A brief explanation (one-page limit) of how the conference or event to which you will be traveling meets the objectives of the CNSM Travel Grant Program (see objectives above). This must be written by the applicant, then reviewed and signed by both the applicant and the appropriate department chair under which the applicant’s major falls.
- Itemized statement – Include an itemized statement of how the travel grant will be spent.
- Submit all four (4) documents to the dean’s office (Reichart 358).
Jack R. Luick Memorial Travel Fund
The Jack R. Luick Memorial Travel Fund was established to provide travel awards to graduate students studying the nutritional and physiological ecology of ungulates.
- Enrolled as a graduate student at UAF.
- In good academic standing.
- Pursuing a course of study in nutritional or physiological ecology of unglulates.
- The application should include:
- A letter from the student to the fund’s selection committee summarizing education, experience, research interests and career goals.
- A letter of support from the student’s major professor.
- A conference agenda or synopsis.
- Title and abstract, if available, of the paper to be presented.
- An itemized travel budget.
Submit entire packet to:
UAF Department of Biology & Wildlife
PO Box 756100
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6100
For more information, call Pauline Thomas 907-474-6294. Applications are due June 30 for travel in the following academic year.