All students who participate in the ASHSSS attain a sense of achievement and self-confidence resulting from interaction with students from other schools and regions and with professional researchers and educators. Participants also receive public recognition and certificates honoring their achievement and interest in research pursuits.
On the first day of the ASHSSS event (Saturday), participants are organized into seven sessions with approximately equal numbers of students in each session. Projects from similar categories are placed in the same session. The 1st-4th place winners in each sessionare awarded plaques and cash prizes:
- 1st place: $200 Finalist for second round of judging (Sunday).
- 2nd place: $150 Finalist for second round of judging (Sunday).
- 3rd place: $100
- 4th place: $50
Additional special awards related to specific areas of research (for example, Ecology, Fisheries, Forestry, Microbiology and/or Chemistry) are often given as well. These awards are sponsored and presented by other organizations and businesses.
From the fourteen finalists who compete in the second round of judging (on Sunday), the overall winners are selected and earn the following awards. (To be eligible for the JSHS scholarship awards, a student must be a U.S. citizen or be a permanent resident of the U.S.)
- Top 4 finalists A 1-year (2 semester) tuition scholarship to UAF.
- Top 5 finalists An expenses-paid trip to attend the national science symposium (JSHS). (The 6th and 7th place finalists are alternates for JSHS.)
- 3rd place finalist A $1,000 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship (to a school of their choice). (The 3rd place finalist is also an alternate speaker for the JSHS meeting should the 1st or 2nd place finalist not be present.) Competitive Poster Presenters at Nationals by 3rd, 4th & 5th place winners.
- 2nd place finalist A $1,500 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship (to a school of their choice) AND an opportunity to present his/her research during competitive sessions at the National JSHS. Competitive State Speaker at Nationals
- 1st place finalist A $2,000 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship (to a school of their choice) AND an opportunity to present his/her research during competitive sessions at the National JSHS. Competitive State Speaker at Nationals
Additional awards that can be earned at the national JSHS
The 1st and 2nd place finalists from the ASHSSS compete for additional scholarship awards at the national JSHS. Students compete in sessions organized by subject area. For each session, the following awards are given:
- 1st place A $12,000 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship, an expenses-paid trip to the London International Youth Science Forum, and a $500 award to the student’s school, honoring the sponsoring teacher.
- 2nd place A $8,000 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship. (This student is also the alternate for the trip to London.)
3rd place A $4,000 JSHS undergraduate tuition scholarship.